What's an E-Book?
Every once in a while I get an email from a reader who has never heard about e-books before.
If you know what e-books are you can close this window now. If you don't know what e-books are, or aren't sure what that means or what exactly you can purchase here, keep reading.
E-books are becoming very common and in some areas they are starting to replace normal books. Many of the big travel guide companies have also started to offer some of their guide materials in e-book format.
An e-book is an electronic book. It is a file that you download to your computer and print from there. Once you have downloaded the e-book it lives on your computer and you can open and read it or print it any time you like.
An e-book has some advantages and some disadvantages.
- You receive the e-book instantly, as soon as you pay. There is no waiting time.
- You can use the book online and make use of the weblinks in it. That's much easier than typing long addresses into your computer every time someone gives you a web reference.
- You save handling, packaging and shipping charges.
- Updates are included. If there are important changes I update the e-book and I also send out a newsletter to people who have already bought the book. (Only if you want them of course. It's your choice if you want to receive those updates or not.)
- If you don't want to travel right now, you can still buy the book right now, and then email me for a fresh and updated version when you are about to leave for your trip.
- You get a full money back guarantee. I would not be able to give you a money back guarantee on a real book. Once you open a real book you have to keep it, whether you like it or not. If an e-book disappoints, you simply ask for your money back.
- You need a printer to print the e-book and some folder or binder to put it into. (Though some people just clip the pages together with a huge paper clip and leave it at that.)
- Well, there is no way around it, it doesn't look as good on the book shelf!
But frankly, since the real value of a guide book is in the information and not in the nice hard cover, the e-book is the better deal anyway.
Lower price, instant delivery, fresh information, full money back guarantee. That's hard to beat!