Permits for the Kimberleys

River Crossing on the Kalumburu Road

River Crossing on the Kalumburu Road

I know we need a permit to go to Kalumburu Reserve but some sources say we also need permits to access Cape Leveque and the Mitchell Plateau. What else do we need? Do you have any list of the places where we need permits?

Related questions:
Permits For Entering Aboriginal Land In The Kimberleys
Fishing Licence/Permits For Kimberley Area

Comments for Permits for the Kimberleys

Click here to add your own comments

May 13, 2008
Only Kalumburu requires a permit
by: Birgit

Assuming you will stick to all the usual tourist destinations, you only need a permit for Kalumburu.

The only time you need permits is when entering Aboriginal Land on other than public roads, or for visiting some of the communities.

On the Dampier Peninsula you would need a special permission if you wanted to visit some of the little known communities on the eastern side, but Cape Leveque is a normal tourist resort. You don't need a permit there or at Middle Lagoon, the other popular beach resort.

The well known Aboriginal communities like Lombadina, Beagle Bay or One Arm Point charge a small entry fee, payable when you arrive.

If you do want to visit any other communities you should contact the Broome Visitor Centre to find out if and how you get permission.

The Mitchell Falls are in a national park. You don't need a permit to visit a national park. For some of the Kimberley national parks you do need a parks pass or pay an entry fee, but not for the Mitchell River National Park.

Both the free and the full guide book have a chapter that lists the parks that aren't free, the different passes available, and all the outlets where you can get a parks pass.

The full guide also tells you exactly where for any off the beaten track destinations you would need special permission from land owners, a permit, a parks pass, anything, together with details of how to get the permission. There is nothing else you need.

Oct 16, 2010
by: Birgit

The Mitchell River National Park now attracts an entry fee like the other Kimberley parks. The fee is covered with the parks pass.

Jan 06, 2018
And Another Update
by: Birgit

It's been almost ten years since this question was first asked and sadly the time has come:

You now need a permit to access the Mitchell Plateau! It's called the called the Ngauwudu Road Zone pass.

The pass is valid for five days and for 2018 costs $20 per person.
In 2019 that fee will increase to $45 per person.

(My original comment still stands: if you have Destination Kimberley you'll have all the information you need about permits in the Kimberley.)

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Kimberley Travel Questions.

Travelling to the Kimberley?

The FREE Kimberley Pocket Guide
A great introduction to travel in the Kimberley region and along the Gibb. This free resource will answer all the questions you might have in the early stages of planning a trip.

Destination Kimberley
The full Kimberley travel guide shows you how to make the most of your adventure at Australia's last frontier. Destination Kimberley includes the most detailed and most current guide to the Gibb River Road available anywhere. Also called "The Bible" by its readers.

Travelling to the Northern Territory?

Destination Top End offers the same comprehensive, detailed insider information for the tropical regions of the Northern Territory. Be the best informed traveller in the Kakadu, Litchfield and Katherine Gorge national parks and beyond!

A must have if you travel to or from Darwin.

NEW! Destination Red Centre is the latest addition in this popular series. Monica Coleman takes you through Australia's red Outback heart, offering all the detail and insider tips that you have come to know and love about our guides. With special emphasis on Aboriginal communities and culture.

A must have if you travel to or from Alice Springs/Uluru.

Return to top

Return to home page